Learner's creations

Monday, January 29, 2007

Chinese New Year Peanut Cookies

This is my first bake for this year's CNY. Peanut cookies is an all-time favourite for many Malaysians.....and that include AC and me. For me, they must be aromatic and melt-in-the-mouth and I think I've managed to achieve that with this batch!





I've tried making peanut cookies once 2 years ago....and it was pretty alright. I can't remember where I got that first recipe from, so I had to source for another new one. I found a simple recipe from Jo at Imperial Kitchen. Fellow forumers at IK have tried this recipe and was full of praise for it.


Peanut Cookies

Ingredients:
600g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
450g coarse and/or fine ground peanut (original recipe calls for 400g)
225g caster sugar
320ml corn oil
1 large egg, beaten

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 175C.
2. Sieve together the flour, baking powder and baking soda.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the peanuts and sugar together.
4. Add the peanut to the flour. Add oil gradually....mix well until it form a dough.
5. Divide the dough into small balls. I used a chopstick to make a hole on each of the cookies.
6. Brush some egg on the cookies so that it will have a golden coating on top.
7. Bake in the oven for 20 mins.

Note: I made my own peanut mixture by first baking the peanut in the oven at 200C for 15-20 mins, stirring once or twice. The peanut has to be spread out in a single layer. Then, using a rolling pin, the peanut is crushed...hence it's a mix of coarse and ground texture.


AC helped me in making this batch of cookies. It took us approximately 4.5 hours in total to bake the whole batch! We managed to make about 200 pieces of small sized cookies.

Verdict: I think the cookies are nice and they definitely melt-in-the-mouth. AC thought that there's not enough peanut in the cookies, hence making it a bit floury for his taste. But as he consumes more....he finds that they're actually pretty alright!

It's definitely one recipe to try....and it's very simple too!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home