Learner's creations

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Stewed Pork (Tau Yew Bak) with Eggs & 'Claypot Chicken Rice' using Rice Cooker


I'm still trying to catch up with the food that I've cooked before in the past week. I've made Stewed Pork (Tau Yew Bak) with Eggs and also 'Claypot Chicken Rice', but using the rice cooker!

The tau yew bak can be eaten with rice, or with noodles. I can remember my granny cooking this when I was young, they are delicious and I don't get bored eating them. Now, I realise it's rather hard to master this dish. This is my 2nd try, and yet the flavour is still not right. This time, the dish tasted of too much 5-spice powder.

I cooked the claypot chicken rice the other day as I was keen to have something easy to cook. I love this, as it's really delicious and have lap cheong in it! I love lap cheong.....



Tau Yew Bak with Eggs

Ingredients:
500g pork shoulder, cubed
3 tbsp dark soy sauce
3 tbsp dark brown sugar
5-spice powder
Hard-boiled eggs, peeled
Garlic cloves, smashed
Salt, to taste
Water

Methods:
1. Heat sugar and 1/4 cup of water over medium heat. Stir well until the sugar is melted.
2. Add the soy sauce, 5-spice powder, garlic and some salt. Add in the remaining water.
3. Put in the pork and let it braise for 15mins.
4. Add in the eggs.
5. Make sure that there is enough water in the pot to cover the eggs and the pork.
6. Bring to a boil, and then let simmer over low heat for at least 30mins, or until the pork is tender.
7. Serve.



Claypot Chicken Rice
Ingredients:
2 cups raw rice, washed and drained
2 chicken legs, deboned and cubed
2 Chinese sausages, sliced
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
3 tbsp dark soy sauce
1/2 tbsp oil

Methods:
1. Wash the rice and cover with enough water as you normally would.
2. Add in the chicken and the Chinese sausages.
3. Add in the seasonings. Stir to mix evenly.
4. Put the rice in the rice cooker to cook.
5. Serve

Notes:
1. You can add in salted fish if you prefer.
2. You can garnish this dish with spring onion and toasted shallots.

7 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home