Learner's creations

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Pandan Chiffon Cake


Another bake last week, Pandan Chiffon Cake (I used the Pandan Chiffon Cake recipe from the Pandan Kaya Layer Cake from Jo's Deli Bakery) for my friend's birthday. We had a Malaysian theme for the party, and since he doesn't like sweet dessert, I thought Pandan cake would be a good choice.
I was rather worried with this choice as it's not easy an easy cake to make....quite a lot of skills are required to make a nice one. Alas!....my worry was not unfounded. When I took the cake out from the oven, I was so happy to see a nicely risen cake. Unfortunately, after cooling it down, the centre of the cake really sinked.
To cover this, I decorated the cake with whipped cream and desiccated coconut. No one, other than those who were in the kitchen, realised this....so it's a good disguise! Everyone loves the cake, but I found it a bit dense. Is it because there's not enough air incorporated into the cake?? I'll definitely try this again and see where in the process I went wrong....





Pandan Chiffon Cake
Ingredients
1 carton of whipping cream

A:
100ml pandan juice (blend 6 pandan leaves with 125ml water, strained)
4 egg yolks
90g castor sugar
160g plain flour, sifted
1/2 tsp baking powder, sift with flour
1/2 tsp baking soda, sift with flour
1 tsp pandan essence
50g corn oil

B:
4 egg whites
60g sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar

Method:
1. Preheat oven at 170C.
2. Add all ingredients in A and mix well until the mixture is smooth and consistent.
3. In separate clean mixing bowl, whip egg whites and cream of tartar of ingredients B at medium speed until the egg whites are bubbly. Add sugar and whip at high spee

4 Comments:

  • At 12:54 am, Blogger aDe said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 1:04 am, Blogger aDe said…

    I have personally tasted this and it's delicious! The efforts to blend real pandan leaves for the cake instead of using just pandan essence and artificial colouring really pays off, as it really makes a difference. Good try!

     
  • At 6:30 am, Blogger FooDcrazEE said…

    good blog...keep it up SHaron

     
  • At 4:34 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    blog etiquette is to seek permission before posting recipes that belong to others, especially those from the same forum.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home